• print this page

New South Wales


Under Section 117 of the New South Wales Liquor Act 2007 it is illegal to supply alcohol to people aged under 18 years in a private home unless it is supplied by:

  • The child’s parent or guardian
  • An adult who had the approval of the child’s parent or guardian

Responsible supervision is generally determined by:

  • Whether the adult was drunk
  • Whether the child was drunk
  • The age of the child
  • The amount of alcohol consumed by the child and over what period of time
  • Whether the child consumed food with the alcohol
  • How the child was supervised

A person convicted of secondary supply in NSW can be fined up to $11,000 for each minor involved.


Please note: This information does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon in this way. The information is correct at the time of publication. For information specific to your situation contact a legal aid service in your state or territory.


Subscribe to Grogwatch

GrogWatch is our blog that shares stories and information about alcohol

Once you subscribe you will receive an email which you will have to click on to verify your subscription.

Subscribe to Grogwatch

Thanks for subscribing. Please remember to check your email to verify your account.

In order to improve our service we'd appreciate it if you could take a minute to tell us about yourself.

Thank you for expressing an interest in our GrogWatch blog. A subscription confirmation email will be sent to your inbox shortly.